By: Poelano Malema
Somizi Mhlongo is due to appear in court in October over a ‘joke’ he made about a lockdown extension in April last year, reports Citizen.
The media personality appeared at the Randburg Magistrates Court On Thursday, 12 August.
Minister of Transport, Fikile Mbalula, pressed charges against Somizi after he claimed that Mbalula told him about the lockdown extension before an official announcement was made.
“Somizi, in April last year, 2020, he apparently made a remark to Dineo Ranaka on radio Metro that the lockdown will be extended and she asked him how he knows that and he said that Fikile Mbalula told him,” Somizi’s lawyer Jaya Moodley told Citizen.
Mbalula denied the claims, and Mhlongo said it was just a ” bad joke”.
However, the Minister of Transport said things like that cannot be joked about and laid charges against the Idols SA judge.
He was charged in terms of Section 27 of contravening the Disaster Management Act.
Somizi’s case was postponed to 12 October, but his lawyers claim there is no case against their client.
“So I decided today that we’re fed up of the director of public prosecutions, we are going to postpone it for trial, there is no case against Somizi,” Moodley told the publication.