By Kaya 959 News
National police spokesperson, Brigadier Vish Naidoo, has confirmed that security for the Zulu Royal family has not been withdrawn.
In a short statement issued yesterday on Sunday, Naidoo said contrary to reports circulating in mainstream media and on social media, protection for the Royal family in KwaZulu-Natal has not been withdrawn.
“It is rather unfortunate that information, of such protection being withdrawn, was made public without the SAPS leadership being approached for verification.
“The Royal protection is informed by a threat assessment which is reviewed on an ongoing basis,” Naidoo said.
Prince Mangosuthu Buthelezi concerned
At the weekend, Prince Mangosuthu Buthelezi expressed his concerns for the safety of the newly named king, Misuzulu kaZwelithini, after some media alleged that police had been withdrawn from the Royal palace in KZN.
At the time, he said there was no consultation either with himself nor members of the Royal family over the decision.
KZN Premier, Sihle Zikalala, further dismissed claims that police protection has been withdrawn. He moved swiftly to deny the claims following consultations with KZN SAPS Commissioner General Mkhwanazi, MEC for Transport, Community Safety and Liaison Peggy Nkonyeni and the Minister of Police, General Bheki Cele.
“Following these engagements, we hereby reject these allegations as baseless and misleading. All Royal palaces are under the protection of the South African Police Services and this will continue,” the Premier said.
Royal Protection Services
He said the Royal Protection Services is at the palace.
“In fact, there has even been a re-enforcement of security on all the palaces with the Tactical Response Unit (TRT). There will never be any effort to weaken security at the Royal Palaces of His Majesty the King. As the Government has always done, we shall, at all times, take the responsibility of ensuring the safety and protection of the palaces and their inhabitants, especially His Majesty, the King,” Zikalala said.
The announcement of the new King has further deepened ructions within the Royal family.
On Friday, the late Regent, Her Majesty Queen Mantfombi Dlamini Zulu‘s last will and testament was read out after her funeral.
In her will, she named her 46-year-old son as the heir and next king. However, another Prince, Thokozani Zulu, challenged the appointment.
When he tried to object, Buthelezi, who holds the title of Inkosi of the Buthelezi clan as well as that of Traditional Prime Minister of the Zulu Monarch and Nation, ordered him to sit down. The pair then got into a verbal spat.
This then led to a small commotion amongst those in attendance.
Bodyguards then grabbed the newly appointed King and whisked him away from the Kwakhangelamankengane Royal Palace.
Buthelezi welcomes incoming King’s ascension to the throne
Despite this, Buthelezi said they welcome the announcement of the incoming King’s ascension to the throne.
“We are also pleased to note the further strengthening of relations between the Zulu Kingdom and the Kingdom of eSwatini through His Majesty’s imminent reign,” he said.
Meanwhile, the incoming King has called for peace in the Zulu nation.
In his speech, which was read out by his sister, Princess Ntandoyenkosi Zulu, he said the royal court must emulate his father who was a man of peace.