By Motlagae Konyana
With the pressures that we face in our society today, many people struggle to take care of themselves. It seems that with the advent of social media, the pressures have increased.
It can sometimes feel like we live in a society where people want to operate on high speed but with minimal sleep. We also worry. We worry about not being as successful as the next person, not being able to fulfill all of our responsibilities and achieving those big big dreams.
Self-care is any activity that we deliberately do in order to take care of our mental, emotional, and physical health. Self-care and self-love is essential in day to day life, and is pivotal in ensuring that you are A-Okay before you love and care for others. “Self-love starts when you stop the 2Cs: Self Criticism and Self Comparison” says Life Coach Simone Naidoo. Ensure that you focus on self.
Here are ways to start your own self-care practice?
- Be vigilant of what you expose yourself to as that has an impact on your mental state.
- Avoid negative self talk and check the thoughts you have about yourself – Practice positive thoughts and words of affirmation as this can play a big role in how you see yourself.
- Stop Self-Criticism and Self Comparison – avoid comparing yourself to others and ensure that you focus on yourself and run your race.
- Make sleep part of your self-care routine. Sleep enough to ensure that you perform at your optimal at all times. Don’t look at sleeping as a waste of time.
- Exercise daily as part of your self-care routine. Do more activities for your body – the endorphins released from exercise are great for overall health.
- Eat right – be careful of what you put in your body, avoid alcohol, sugar and too much unhealthy food.
- Learn to say no when you need to. Learning to say no is really hard; many of us feel obligated to say yes when someone asks for our time or energy but there are times when we don’t have the energy or time, and it’s okay to say no.
- Spend time in nature – spending time outside at a park can help reduce stress, and take your mind off the busy-ness of everyday life.
- Make time to read. Read is a simply and easy, but very rewarding escape.
- Spend less time on social media. Try a digital detox