By Kaya 959 Reporter
Gauteng’s MEC for Education, Panyaza Lesufi, has called on police to find those responsible for an armed robbery at the AB Phokompe High School in Randfontein on Friday.
“It is alleged that two armed men arrived at the school on Friday afternoon after gaining entry onto the premises through false pretenses. They claimed to have had a scheduled appointment with the principal. The men held several educators, as well as the principal, hostage,” education officials said in a statement.
“Subsequently, the alleged robbers proceeded to take the personal belongings of the educators and the principal, including items such as cellphones, jewellery, money and five laptops.”
Education spokesperson, Steve Mabona, said the suspects tried to gain entry into the school’s strong room.
Mabona added that the staff will receive counselling from the department’s Psycho-social Unit on Monday, 16 August 2021.
Police are investigating circumstances surrounding this case accordingly.
“We condemn this cowardly act of targeting our schools by criminal elements in our communities and call on the Randfontein community to assist the police in bringing those responsible to book. We call upon law enforcement to apprehend these suspects and bring them to justice,” said MEC Lesufi.
Katlehong school break-ins
Earlier this year, two suspects were arrested after they were found in possession of property allegedly stolen at schools in Katlehong.
Two other suspects were nabbed after they were found with items allegedly taken during a robbery at Botebo-Tsebo Secondary School in Sebokeng Zone 4.
At least 67 schools across Gauteng have been broken into or vandalised since the start of lockdown, meanwhile a total of 41 suspects have been arrested on charges relating to the robberies.
“We wish that these criminals will rot in jail. We will not get tired of encouraging members of our communities to continue to alert the police about criminals who torment our schools,” Lesufi said.