By Kaya 959 News
Suspended ANC member Carl Niehaus has threatened to “sue the pants off” Minister of Transport Fikile Mbalula.
This comes after Mbalula linked Niehaus to last week’s unrest in parts of the country.
This is just one of a few verbal altercations between the two senior officials in recent months.
According to the Acting Minister in the Presidency, Khumbudzo Ntshavheni, Bruce Nimmerhoudt, Sibusiso Mavuso, Clarence Tabane and Ngizwe Mchunu were arrested for their alleged roles in instigating last week’s riots.
“The four suspects have been remanded in custody in Gauteng for bail application and the National Prosecution Authority will comment further on the details of the prosecution. One person who was arrested was released by the court and the SAPS are undertaking further investigations,” Ntshavheni said.
However, Niehaus was not mentioned in the investigations.
Mbalula’s BBC Interview
In a recent interview with BBC, Mbalula alluded to Niehaus as an instigator in the alleged failed insurrection that led to rampant looting and riots that played out in parts of Gauteng and across KwaZulu-Natal.
Mbalula named Niehaus as one of the instigators in last week’s looting; however, he said he could not share evidence.
South Africa’s Transport Minister @MbalulaFikile says delayed response to recent violence in the country gave plotters “a field day”
“But for all the days they had, the plotters, they couldn't achieve that result” pic.twitter.com/ZcmSFWkzuQ
— BBC HARDtalk (@BBCHARDtalk) July 21, 2021
Niehaus took to Twitter where he slammed Mbalula’s interview.
“My response to Minister @MbalulaFikile’s wild and totally unfounded allegations on #BBC that I have been involved in some fallacious ‘insurrection’ that his own government cannot even agree on,” Niehaus tweeted.
He also issued Mbalula with a letter from his lawyer, Eric Mabuza.
“The Minister must retract and apologize unconditionally by no later than 15:00 tomorrow (Friday). We are not playing, if he does not comply, we will certainly meet in court next week. Enough is enough!” Niehaus said.
Herewith the letter that my laywer, Eric Mabuza, sent to Min. @MbalulaFikile. The Minister must retract and apologize unconditionally by no later than 15:00 tomorrow. We are not playing, if he does not comply, we will certainly meet in court next week. Enough is enough! pic.twitter.com/bZ3wNQ7IHy
— Carl Niehaus (@niehaus_carl) July 22, 2021
In May, Niehaus filed a R8 million lawsuit against Mbalula after the minister called him a thug on Twitter last year.
And last year, Mbalula ruffled Niehaus’s feathers when he agreed with a post by former Gauteng Premier Mbhazima Shilowa’s tweet that he should counter sue Niehaus and ask him to put money into a trust in advance.