By Kaya 959 News
The ANC has confirmed that its legal team is looking into the unauthorised sharing of ANC National Executive Committee recordings across social media platforms.
The party’s Pule Mabe, said they were concerned at the growing tendency of leaking internal discussions of the organisation, including the implications of such practice.
Mabe said the NEC is holding a special virtual meeting, which started on Saturday and ends on Monday, to discuss a number of issues including the party’s step aside resolutions and guidelines and some recordings from the meeting were shared on social media.
Mabe said information was leaked to a digital media platform called Insight Factor that sought to provide live updates from the meetings.
“We are aware that they are supplied information by their own proxies to further a nefarious task of not only dividing the ANC, but also to drive a particular narrative that goes against the united spirit displayed by the meeting of the NEC currently underway,” he said.
Mabe said the ANC approved Communication Protocol states: “Any conduct involving leaking of confidential information shall constitute a violation of this communications protocol and the ANC has a responsibility to deal with this act of misconduct in the same way as it would deal with any act that brings the organisation into disrepute.”
He said in terms of this protocol, any member who leaks or releases information to the media or public without due authorisation or prior approval, shall be guilty of misconduct.
Ace Magashule kicked out of meeting
Meanwhile suspended Secretary-General, Ace Magashule, was kicked out of the meeting on Saturday. Despite his suspension, Magashule was adamant that he should be present at the meeting. He is appealing his suspension.
Meanwhile, the ANC Women’s League has distanced themselves from Magashule.
Just hours before the NEC meeting, it was reported that ANCWL President Bathabile Dlamini wanted the league to meet with ANC officials to defer the implementation of a decision to suspend criminally charged leaders who failed to step aside within a 30-day deadline.
However, certain league members disagreed with Dlamini. The meeting ended in chaos.
Asbestos roofing saga
Magashule was arrested, charged and granted bail last year for his apparent involvement in a Free State asbestos roofing saga valued at R225 million.
According to police, the allegations relate to a contract that was awarded through a procurement process done in a fraudulent and corrupt manner.
He said while he believes a person is innocent until proven otherwise by the court, he respects the ANC’s decision.
SAPS spokesperson, Colonel Katlego Mogale, said the contract was meant to identify and remove asbestos roofs in the Free State.
Another senior ANC member, also facing a legal battle, Mike Mabuyakhulu, last week voluntarily stepped aside.
Mabuyakhulu faces charges of fraud and corruption relating to a jazz music festival while he was still KwaZulu-Natal MEC for Economic Development.
Among those facing suspension is former eThekwini Municipality mayor, Zandile Gumede. The former mayor faces a raft of charges over a R400m Durban Solid Waste tender. She has been charged with fraud, corruption and racketeering.