There has been a uproar on social media following KwaZulu-Natal premier Sihle Zikalala appearance on Newsroom Africa.
The incident happened in Riverhorse Valley, north of Durban, on Wednesday where hundreds of looters had been targeting warehouses, trucks and businesses since Sunday.
Zikalala has come under fire for allegedly assaulting a young man believed to be linked to a looting incident in Phoenix.
He was assaulted a citizen live on television and cut short his interview with a Newsroom reporter.
What is wrong with Sihle Zikalala, why is he assaulting citizens?
— Slotarnet Dube (@SlotarnetD) July 15, 2021
Sihle Zikalala has broken oath of his office in the full view of the country
— #FreePalestine 🇵🇸 (@ntobengnkadimen) July 15, 2021
Sihle Zikalala is outrightly foolish and must be held accountable for mob justice and vigilantism.
He’s legitimating thugs and criminals who think they are permitted to assault and kill people in Phoenix and other pets of KZN. He’s a fool! pic.twitter.com/Aei09ZPPZm
— Floyd Shivambu (@FloydShivambu) July 15, 2021
The Premier apologises unequivocally about the incident
He has since apologized, his office has sent out a media statement on his social media platforms which says “The Premier apologises unequivocally about the incident,”
The office said although the premier’s actions was against the alleged looting, but the manner in which it was done is deeply “regretted”
“The Premier regrets the level of force used in apprehending a looter, who was attempting to make off with goods that had been stolen from a nearby warehouse,” the statement adds.
— Premier Sihle Zikalala (@sziks) July 15, 2021
Also Read: RIP: Tshepo Tshola passes away