By Kaya 959 News
Rand Water has urged Johannesburg residents not to stock up on water ahead of planned maintenance on faulty valves.
The bulk water supplier, which services Johannesburg Water, is planning a shutdown to replace an 800mm valve and bypass valve.
The repairs will start from 1pm on Saturday, February 27. The operation is expected to last 30 hours.
Residents urged not to panic
Rand Water spokesperson, Justice Mohale, has stressed that there will be adequate water supply during the period of the shutdown.
Mohale has urged residents not to panic.
“This is a planned shutdown, not an emergency shutdown. We store sufficient water in our reservoirs. We encourage people not to stock up on water before the shutdown. If they do, water in the system will be depleted.
“They won’t run short of water as the water they receive is not from the pipeline but from the reservoir,” he said.
Mohale has encouraged residents to use water sparingly.
He says in the unlikely event that the reservoir water runs low during the period, residents won’t be without water for long.
Nonetheless, officials have taken precautions and will provide water tanks if need be.
The areas affected are:
Coronationville, Westbury, Claremont, Triomf, Westdene, Newlands, Gremont, Alberts Kroon, Albertsville, Langlaagte, Industria, Bosmont, Riverlea, Longdale, Rossmore, Hursthill, Westbury, Montclare, Melville, Emmarentia, Auckland Park, Greenside, Westcliff, Parkview, Vredesdorp, Fordsburg, Brixton, Mayfair, Cottesloe, Berario, Fairlands, Northcliff 4, 10, 16, 17 & 22, Maridale, Sophiatown, Newclare, Constantia Kloof , Florida Noord and Janhofmeyer.
Water tanks will be at the following points:
1. Alwayn RD & Babiana Street
2. Commando & main RD Revelea
3. Jukskei Drive & Wilhemina Hokins
4. Japura village cnr of Erythrin for Senior Citizen-Riverlea
5. Crown Informal Settlement
6. At BP Cnr Gordon Road & bergbron
7. Bergbron & Whiteridge
8. Brixton Policetaion( Cnr High & Mercury)
9. Crosby Clinic
10. Rahima Moosa Hospital
11. Slovo Park Informal Settlement (coronationville)
12. Kathrada Informal Settlement (Newclare)
13. Edward Street (Sophiatown)
14. No 46 Wilma Street (Montclare)
15. Riverlea Recreation Centre
16. Quellerina and Florida Glen truck will roam around in the area
17. Sophiatown Clinic and Fire Station Truck will roam around in the area
18. Hellen Joseph Hospital water tanker is there to pump water to the hospital.
19. Cnr Mimosa and Willow Road
20. Cnr Taibos & Accacia Road
21. Cnr Weltevreden and Shaka Road
22. Cnr Golf Glub Terrace and Joachim van Pletzen – Constantia Kloof
23. Bertha ave – Florida Noord
24. Bruno Street – Florida Noord
25. Louanna Street – Constantia Kloof
26 Okkerneut – Constantia Kloof