Kaya 959 News Reporter
Two learners were injured in a scholar bus accident on Thursday, 13 January.
The accident occurred in Randfontein.
The two learners made use of the Gauteng Department of Education’s scholar transport bus.
The service is used by many learners who require transportation to different schools.
The two girls who were injured are grade 12 learners from Phahama Secondary School and Thurso Lehakwe Secondary School.
Circumstances surrounding the accident are still unknown.
Parents are urged by the City of Joburg to ensure that their children are transported in accordance with the law.
Scholar Transport operators must adhere to the following legal requirements:
- A driver must have a valid license, with a Professional Driving Permit (PRDP)
- Always ensure passengers are wearing safety belts
- Obey the basic rules of the road ie. Keep to the speed limit, stop at stop signs, indicate your intention before stopping, turning, or overtaking.
- Be observant (expect the unexpected)
- Maintain a safe following distance of 3 seconds behind the other car
- Give right of way to vehicles approaching form the right-hand side of the traffic circle
- Ensure the vehicle is roadworthy before setting off
Read Next: Fatal shootout at Lesiba Secondary School