By Kaya 959 News
Parliament has approved an inquiry into claims that police and local law enforcement agencies failed to act during last month’s unrest in Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal.
What started as pro-Jacob Zuma protests quickly disintegrated into chaos in both provinces with crowds of people looting and destroying shops and shopping centres.
Looters also ransacked businesses and warehouses.
So far, hundreds of people have been arrested for their alleged roles in the looting, while police have also arrested people who they believe instigated the looting.
Chairperson of the Joint Standing Committee on Intelligence, Jerome Maake, said officials met with intelligence services.
“At these meetings the need for the inquiry emerged after the committee received full briefings on the July unrests from the intelligence services. The inquiry will only be confined to the mandate of the JSCI as contained in the Constitution, the applicable legislation and Joint Rules of Parliament,” he said.
Maake added that unlike other parliamentary committees, “the JSCI conducts its activities in closed sessions as guided by the Intelligence Services Oversight Act 1994, (Act No. 40 of 1994) and not all information pertaining to the work of the committee may be disclosed to the public”.
“However, some information will be contained in the Annual Report of the JSCI to be published soon,” he said.
Meanwhile, an alleged instigator has appeared in the Bloemfontein Magistrate’s Court.
Hawks spokesperson, Katlego Mogale, said Phineas Letsoalo was arrested on Monday.
“In an intelligence led investigation, the team managed to trace one of the alleged instigators in the recent violent protests, looting of businesses and destruction of infrastructure, which ensured the apprehension of the 40-year-old. During the search of his body and his car, some exhibits were found,” Mogale said.
Letsoalo was remanded in custody until 18 August where he is expected to formally apply for bail.