Kaya 959 Reporter
The first case of monkeypox in South Africa has been confirmed, this is according to South Africa’s Health Minister Joe Phaahla on Thursday.
A 30-year-old man patient from Johannesburg with no prior travel history is said to be the one infected.
“The patient is a 30-year-old male from Johannesburg who has no travel history, meaning that this cannot be attributed to having been acquired outside South Africa. Working with the relevant health authorities a process of contact tracing has begun,”
“The disease is only spread through close droplets so you cannot get it by being in the same room with an infected person. Thus far it has been dominant in men who have set with men, but the main feature is that transmission is through close contact,” said Phaahla.
Phaahla also said that in the early 2000s, the disease was previously reported in several African nations, including Nigeria, the DRC, Ghana, and the CA Republic.
Health Minister, Dr Joe Phaahla, has just confirmed that a case of #monkeypox has been identified in South Africa. The case involves a 30-year-old male residing in the Gauteng province. He reports no recent travel history. pic.twitter.com/W9O5CLAFAt— NICD (@nicd_sa) June 23, 2022
He added that high numbers in Europe, such as the UK, Spain, Germany, Portugal, and France, are dominating the current outbreak and that in the USA and Canada, cases have also been reported.