By Kaya 959 Reporter
Judgement is expected to be handed down to two parents accused of abusing their infant daughter.
The parents face charges of attempted murder, assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, and child abuse.
They are due to appear in the Pretoria High Court on Tuesday.
AfriForum’s Private Prosecution Unit took the matter over last year.
Unit head Advocate Gerrie Nel says they got involved after those who raised concerns about the alleged abuse were given “lip service”.
He says that the 5-week-old baby was treated for injuries consistent with abuse in April 2020.
“According to information supplied to AfriForum, the Department of Social Development decided in April to place the baby in temporary custody with her grandmother, after which she was returned to her parents on 1 May. This despite the fact that the baby’s father had appeared in court as a suspect who could possibly be linked to the abuse,” Nel says.
Child abuse case closed
Police initially investigated the case, says Nel, but informed those involved that it was being closed due to a lack of evidence.
In July the child was admitted to a Pretoria hospital. She received treatment for pneumonia, shock and dehydration.
Nel says the infant was underweight and testing indicated she had a previous fractured collarbone.
He says an MRI scan showed injuries that were probably caused by violent shaking. Both of her femurs were broken and there were signs of several fractured ribs.
Nel says the injuries could have been inflicted while she was in her parents’ care.
“Family members have also come forward to supply AfriForum with relevant information concerning the parents,” Nel says.
ALSO READ: High risk cars in South Africa 2021