By: Poelano Malema
Dr Tumi recently made headlines after Sunday Times reported that the megastar felt that the money he received for his virtual prayer concert was not enough.
According to the report, Dr Tumi received R500,000 from the Gauteng Department of Sports, Arts, Culture, and Recreation as payment for his televised prayer service concert.
The prayer concert was held to uplift the spirits of South Africans as the country battles with the coronavirus pandemic. It took place last year March and was aired on DSTV channel GauTV and YouTube.
The show featured great gospel legends, such as Benjamin Dube, Lebogang Sekgobela, Takie Ndou, Stephen Lungu, and Psalmist Sefako.
Sunday Times claimed the multi-award-winning singer said the R500k was “too little”.
Government has slammed the report, saying it was “intentionally misleading the public by undermining the input that goes into putting together a TV production with many performers.”
The Department said the market rate for such celebrated artists was far beyond what they had charged, however, the artists did it for the benefit of society.
“The market going rate for such celebrated artists is far beyond what they charged, however, they put together the TV production and performed at a reasonable cost for the benefit of society,” read the statement.
The Department slammed the publication for undermining the work that went into putting the show together. This is after Sunday Times reported that the show attracted a little more than 1,700 viewers on YouTube.
“It is therefore insulting for the paper to disregard the inherent costs entailed in putting together a TV production, and to reduce the input to a mere two hours,” continued the statement from the Department.
It added that it ”appreciates and values the impact the sport and arts industries have in our economy and job creation and will continue to support artists and sport individuals more especially during this difficult time of COVID-19.”
STATEMENT: Gauteng Sport, Arts, Culture and Recreations notes the unfortunate and misleading Sunday Times article titled “Gauteng Department of Sports, Arts, Culture and Recreation paid gospel star R500 000 for putting together a two hour online concert”. pic.twitter.com/NvszkAKmRd
— Gauteng Dept. of Sport, Arts, Culture & Recreation (@GautengSACR) February 14, 2021
Good day family. Statement by the department regarding the misleading headline. I think I don’t need to clarify beyond this. I am grateful that you are seeing through the malicious lies of the article. pic.twitter.com/ijMxfXAr6o
— Dr Tumi (@DrTumi_) February 14, 2021
Image courtesy of Instagram/ @drtumisang