By Tamlyn Canham
TV presenter Musa Mthombeni has urged South Africans to “buckle up” because hospitals are starting to fill up fast.
South Africa has seen a surge in COVID-19 cases. More than 5, 000 new cases were recorded on Monday.
Musa, who is a qualified doctor, says a lot more people are seeking treatment because they can’t breathe properly – which is one of the symptoms of the coronavirus.
“I just walked into one of the hospitals, I work at [a] respiratory area (area where patients coming to hospital with breathing issues). There are at least 50 people being treated. This isn’t a ward. This is an admission area,” he tweeted.
The former YoTV star says private hospitals are already full.
“Private hospitals are full. Public hospitals are nearly there too. Buckle up.”
I just walked into one of the hospitals I work at respiratory area (area where patients coming to hospital with breathing issues)
There are at least 50 people being treated. This isn’t a ward. This is an admission area.
— DrMusa (@DrMusaMthombeni) June 14, 2021
Wear a mask
Musa is not the only celebrity urging South Africans to stay on high alert. Just last week, actress Gail Mabalane voiced her concerns about people who refuse to wear masks.
“Guys, please let’s keep our masks on. We shouldn’t, at this stage, still have to ask people to put their masks on. We literally need to treat everyone we come into contact with like they’ve got Covid,” a message she shared on Instagram read.
Many of her celebrity friends agreed, with one saying she decided to get out of an Uber because the driver refused to wear a mask.
Both Gail and her husband, Kabelo Mabalane, tested positive for COVID-19 in 2020.
They shared their experience on Instagram.
View this post on Instagram
Gauteng hospitals under pressure
There are growing concerns that Gauteng hospitals will battle to cope with the third wave.
Health officials are also worried that Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg Hospital, which was damaged in a fire, remains closed.
The Health Portfolio Committee says the matter needs urgent attention.
“It will be practically impossible for the province to manage the 3rd wave without the more than 1000 beds, which is inclusive of 124 Intensive Care Unit beds, at Charlotte Maxeke Hospital.
“This matter needs urgent attention and we have committed as the Portfolio Committee to engage national Ministers to see how they can assist to ensure that the facility is ready and available to assist in the management of the 3rd wave,” Dr Sibongiseni Dhlomo, Chairperson of the committee, said in a statement.
— Nosipho Radebe (@Nosipho_Radebe) June 11, 2021