By Kaya 959 News
A North West police officer is expected to formally apply for bail in the Garankuwa Magistrate Court next week.
Warrant Officer Semausu Eddie Molobela is accused of shooting his wife during an argument.
Independent Police Investigative Directorate spokesperson, Ndileka Cola, says the 36-year-old Warrant Officer, who is stationed at the Hebron SAPS, was charged with attempted murder.
“It is alleged that on Tuesday night the suspect had an argument with his 33-year-old wife. The suspect shot the victim in her face.
Victim in ICU
The victim’s son allegedly rushed her to the nearest hospital for medical attention, which transferred the victim to a hospital in Pretoria, where she is currently admitted in the Intensive Care Unit,” Cola said.
The suspect handed himself to Hebron Police Station where he was detained before appearing in court.
She said Molobela appeared briefly in court this week and is due back next week where he is expected to make a formal bail application.
Two life terms for convicted rapist
A 41-year-old man has been handed down two life terms for the rape and murder of Rustenburg school teacher, Khumontle Mokgosi.
The accused, Akanyang Rakodi, has also received 15 years for robbery with aggravating circumstances and five years for fraud – the 15 and five years sentences will run concurrently with the first life sentence.
Henry Mamothame, spokesperson for the National Prosecuting Authority in the North West, says Mokgosi’s lifeless body was found in June 2020 with hands and feet tied up.
“Her body was discovered after she didn’t come to work and her principal requested a member of the SGB and members of the community to look for her. This eventually led to the discovery.”
Rakodi was later arrested during a crime intelligence-driven operation, together with other law enforcement agencies in the Bojanala District.
“During the arrest, he was found in possession of the deceased’s bank card as well as items he had purchased with the card,” Mamothame says.
Victim’s cellphones recovered
Police investigations revealed that the suspect withdrew money in Northam and Zeerust with the stolen card and two cellphones belonging to the 25-year-old deceased were also recovered.
Advocate Sello Maema, argued that the offences were premeditated and that he committed a heinous act against a defenceless and innocent victim who played a significant role in society by virtue of being a teacher.
He further expressed dismay at the lack of remorse displayed by the victim.
The Acting Director of Public Prosecutions in the North West, Advocate Rachel-Makhari Sekhaolelo, welcomed the conviction.
She said this would send a strong message to all perpetrators of Gender Based Violence and Femicide (GBVF) to refrain from such barbaric acts.
She further encouraged all her prosecutors to firmly advocate against GBVF through successful convictions.
The two cases once again highlight the scourge of GBV cases in SA.
Last year, the Mail & Guardian reported that the Covid-19 pandemic worsened the situation worse for women. Many were locked in homes with their abusers and reports of violence skyrocketed, making an already difficult pandemic even more so for women.
“Organisations such as Rise Up Against Gender Based Violence, based in Johannesburg, could not cope with the number of calls from women who needed to be evacuated from their homes to places of safety,” the report stated.