By: Natasha Archary
Zoe Saldana has played many popular extraterrestrial characters in memorable movies, such as “Avatar”, “Star Trek Beyond” and “Guardians of the Galaxy”. Her lean, mean, killing machine body must have her working out for hours, with Zoe picking at a plate of green leafy salad right? Wrong.
The actress was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s, an autoimmune disease that affects the thyroid and metabolism. Affecting her joints and causing inflammation, the condition meant Zoe couldn’t live the active life she wanted.
She had to adapt her training to ease her into a healthier routine, starting with just walking.
Zoe’s guide to a healthier you
- The green makeup her Guardians character is accustomed to isn’t the only green she swears by to look her best. To start the day off right, Zoe eats smashed avocado on toast with baby tomatoes or sips on a bamboo green juice.
“There’s a serenity to knowing that because four days out of the week, you took care of yourself relatively well, you can really just close your eyes and enjoy some pizza or fish and chips on the weekend,” she said.
- The word “diet” doesn’t exist in her vocabulary, and the actress stopped being so hard on herself after anxiety started setting in during gatherings at home with her husband and friends.
“I am going to remove the word ‘diet’ from my life. I am going to remind myself that it’s not about losing weight, it’s about being healthy. Feeling healthy, for the rest of my life. I am going to try to focus on what weekends are really for – resting. And making time for loved ones. And when chow time arrives? I will make amazing and healthy choices,” she wrote on Facebook.
- The 42-year-old actress and her Italian husband maintain a 80% gluten-free lifestyle. The other 20% is the balance to the scale and includes exercise.
- She loves pizza and does not deny her family a taste of their Italian heritage. She replaces the flour for the crust with cauliflower and adds yummy Italian toppings like mozzarella, mushrooms and arugula.
- Her meals usually consist of a huge portion of steam veggies, lean protein like chicken breast in honey and mustard and a healthy grain like quinoa.
- She’s not big on a heavy meal at night and usually just turns to a bowl of popcorn to snack on.
The biggest takeaway from her guide to a healthier you, is to not be so hard on yourself and make gradual steps in the right direction.