By Kaya 959 Reporter
A 42-year-old woman accused of murdering her husband in 2015 has allegedly gone on a hunger strike.
Nancy Majonhi was due to appear in the Mogwase Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday, however, NPA spokesperson Henry Mamothame said the matter had to be postponed.
He said the postponement was affected due to Majonhi’s ill health, which also prevented her from appearing in court on 21 September for her bail hearing.
Subsequently, she was given medical attention in the hope that her health will improve.
“Reports however reveal that her state of health has not improved, owing to her refusal to eat while in police custody,” he said.
Majonhi is accused of murdering Prosper Chipungare.
Husband assaulted with hammer
It is alleged that the couple had been renting a room in Ledig, near Sun City, when they got into an argument.
“Majonhi allegedly assaulted her husband with a hammer until he collapsed. She then hacked him with a spade and threw the body parts into three different pit latrines before cleaning the crime scene out. Subsequent to the alleged killing, she went to Sun City police station where she reported her husband as missing,” Mamothame said.
He added that Majonhi allegedly returned to Zimbabwe where she later confessed to her family and in-laws that she killed her husband.
“The families arranged to come to South Africa, Sun City where the accused handed herself over to the police. She later pointed the police to the different pit latrines where she threw the body parts, six years ago,” he said.
An investigation by the police is underway and they managed to retrieve a skull and bones which will be subjected to DNA tests.
She will remain in police custody until her next court appearance. Authorities will also monitor her health status leading to her court appearance.