The Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) says although voting stations closed at 5pm on Sunday, people can still register online until midnight on Monday. Special voters are also expected to be registered today the 20th of September.
Voter registration for #LGE2021 continues online at https://t.co/WorsxgXJOo until midnight on Mon, 20 Sept. Voters’ roll closes with proclamation on this day. But hurry, register asap to avoid disappointment. #evervoicetogether pic.twitter.com/6WbJrgH8Cg
— IEC South Africa (@IECSouthAfrica) September 19, 2021
The online voter registration facility is part of the Electoral Commission’s on-going commitment to provide greater accessibility and convenience to voters.
All South African citizens aged 16 years and older in possession of an SA ID (smartcard ID or green barcoded ID book) are permitted to register as voters. Only registered voters aged 18 or older on election day may vote.
According to the IEC, there are 25.6-million registered voters, of whom 55.23% are women and 44.77% men.
How to register online:
- Go to registertovote.elections.org.za;
- Provide your name and surname, cellphone number, and create a password
- Enter your address details
- Upload a photo or file of your valid SA ID book. Make sure the barcode is clearly visible
- Insert the one-time pin (OTP) sent to the mobile phone number you entered at step 2
- Within 24 hours of completing steps 1 to 5, you will receive a notification that you are registered to vote.
Once you have registered to vote in a particular area you cannot vote outside of that area.
To confirm if you’re registered, follow any of these five steps
- SMS your ID number to 32810 (It will cost R1 per SMS).
- Go to your local IEC office from Monday to Friday during office hours.
- Go to the IEC website www.elections.org.za and follow the link “Am I registered to vote?’.
- Check the voter’s roll at the voting station where you are registered to vote during the voter registration weekend.
- Call the toll-free number 0800 11 8000 from a landline to reach the IEC’s call centre.
For any information about your voter status visit the IEC’s voter information hub here. Persons who do not have access to online services can call the IEC’s contact centre on 0800 11 8000.