By Zuko Komisa
The journey of life is one that sees us moving from one life stage to another. With the celebration of youth month underway it is important to shed light on these stages we go through as navigating through these stages can prove to be very challenging if we don’t fully acknowledge and stay present the reality that meets us. No stage is more important that the other as each contains lessons that can be very important for our futures.
Jack Ma has an interesting theory on what is important in the acquisition of knowledge and success throughout the various life stages.
According to Life Coach Steve Mueller there are four fundamental stages in any human being’s life.
Stage I: Play, Imitation and Education
Birth – Infancy – Childhood – Adolescence
This is where your foundation is set; the first couple of years of your life define your personality, this is the stage where you create your earliest memories.
Stage II: Self-Discovery, Enterprise & Adventurousness
Adolescence – Early Adulthood – Adulthood
Stage III: Dedication, Contemplation & Benevolence
Adulthood – Midlife – Mature Adulthood
Stage IV: Retirement, Wisdom & Renunciation
Late Adulthood – Death
This is the final stage of life where all the decision you made and didn’t are the stories you tell. In this is stage of mature adulthood, you have reaches the stage of knowledge, wisdom and compassion.
We’ve put together a list of what we believe is important for you to learn in your 20’s
- Steer clear from debt, the decisions you make about spending the banks money will haunt you at a later stage in your life
- Your worldview will constantly change, what you think you know in your early 20s, and through out life will change with every life stage
- Becoming very successful requires a lot of work; there will always be failures and setbacks. You therefore need to keep learning if you want to be successful
- Remember that you’re not entitled to anything, be humble and never think that just because you put in work for things like degrees that they guarantee you privileges in life
- Hard work isn’t always recognized
- Never make a decision on an emotional impulse. Take time to think things through. You don’t have to make every decision of your life at 20
- Holding grudges will make you miserable
- Money has more value than what it can buy you. Treat it with respect
- You will learn who your true friends are. You will soon learn the definition of meaningful relationships and that quality of friends outweighs quantity of friends
- Lastly, you will be fine. Don’t take yourself too seriously. Enjoy the ride.
What are some of the lessons you’ve learnt? Share them with us?