By: Natasha Archary
When it comes to a beauty regime, most men and women tick the boxes on the basic daily routine. Cleanse, tone, moisturise and you’re good right? I mean why should you fork out on pricey, professional facials anyway?
Or if you do, it’s usually when you have a major event and want to look your absolute best, so the splurge seems necessary. Due to busy schedules, we ignore the basic skin care routine unless time permits. As a result our skin suffers.
Your skin is the largest organ and one of the most complicated. Hormonal imbalances, stress and incorrect products can all contribute to your skin breaking out, looking dull and unhealthy.
Why are facials important?
A facial is one of the most misunderstood beauty regimes, with so many inaccurate points of information out there. I for one, expected my first facial to yield instant results and prompt my skin to start glowing like a Twilight vampire immediately after.
A professional facial penetrates the various layers of your skin. Targetting problem areas from the deepest dermis layer – the Hypodermis – to the surface. The products are specifically designed to work their way into your skin and can stimulate your skin for upto four weeks.
Everyone wants flawless skin. And the first step to attaining it, is to consult with an esthetician.
The Sorbet Difference
Sorbet Rosebank @ The Zone advised me on the best way forward to my sole request, “Give me healthy skin.” I was booked in for a skin assessment and the esthetician recommended the Environ Deep Cleanse facial for my skin.
My problem areas were red patches on my cheeks, pigmentation, fine lines (in my early 30’s, oh horror of horrors) around the eye area and minimal breakout activity along my jaw line.
There were so many intricate steps and hopefully I remember them all:
- Precleanse – Gently removing all makeup or product you have on.
- Ultra-calming cleanse – This would have been the first step of the facial had I not had on any makeup.
- Daily microfoliant – This is a gentle exfoliating powder that is suitable for all skin types. It’s a rice-based powder formula that activates with water, micro-exfoliating dead skin cells and instantly leaving skin smoother and brighter.
- Scaling fluid – Prevents the formation of freckles and acne, dissolves clogged pores and reduces oil production.
- Extraction – This is done manually, to remove any blackheads or whiteheads. The steam machine makes extraction easier.
- Postextraction solution – This treatment heals and has anti-inflammatory benefits. It’s dabbed onto the extraction areas with a cotton pad.
- Ultracalming mist – This relieving, nourishing mist rapidly soothes skin sensitivity.
- Clinical oatmeal masque – The masque is formulated with soothing ingredients for sensitive skin. With aloe vera, oat oil and pharmaceutical-grade colloidol oatmeal, it nourishes and calms irritated skin.
- Massage – Gentle massage to activate your skin cells and aid blood flow.
- Ultracalming serum concentrate – The antidote for skin sensitivity, this super-concentrated serum helps calm, restore and defend sensitive skin.
- Solar Defense booster SPF 50 – This sun shield gives you full spectrum protection from the sun’s harmful rays.
What did this facial teach me?
I learned that I should be using an eye serum daily. Fine lines in my early thirties are the result of improper skin care. It can not be reversed but I can slow the ageing process.
There are a few misconceptions I had about facials. That it’s something that will bring about instant results are one of them. My esthetician helped me understand why the process is gradual and should be a lifelong investment.
- There are no quick fixes in life.
- The second thing I learned is that you should not be picking blackheads yourself. As much as the facial has a manual extraction process, the trained professional doing them knows the correct technique to remove a blackhead which will not cause a pigmentation spot.
- Facials are relaxing. I didn’t know this before I had one done. Falling asleep and allowing your body to fully relax was amazing. I didn’t even realise I’d been out for about forty minutes.
- I noticed a remarkable difference two weeks after my facial. The first week I did break out a bit but this calmed down in the second week and my skin was smoother, clearer with no breakouts. So with a professional facial, you see results if you stick to a schedule.
- The last thing I learned with facials is that, just because it’s pricy does not mean it’s good for you or your skin. Sometimes beauty salons swear by a treatment and you decide to give it a go. A salon that goes above and beyond simply doing their job and one that takes into account what will work for you, is difficult to come by. When you find that salon and you trust your esthetician, you feel more comfortable knowing you’re in good hands.
Indulge in a Sorbet facial and breathe new life into your skin. Take advantage of the exclusive discount below only at Sorbet Rosebank @The Zone.