By Tamlyn Canham
Talk about traditional with a twist! These hot cross bagels are the perfect alternative to the traditional Easter buns.
Landi Govender from The Tocka Blog says she was “craving for something a little different” when she made this recipe.
We couldn’t agree more.
Hot Cross Bagels
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celcius, prepare a baking tray with baking paper, and set aside.
- Add all your dry ingredients to a bowl, add the yogurt, and mix with a wooden spoon or by hand until combined.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
- Divide dough into 4 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a log and shape into a bagel, ensuring to secure each end.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet. Mix the cake flour and enough water to make a thick paste. Pipe crosses onto the bagels and bake for 25-30 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Brush the bagels with apricot jam as soon as they come out of the oven.
- Serve warm with lashings of salted butter.
View this post on Instagram
Main image credit: Supplied/The Tocka Blog