By Bongekile Skosana
The ANC NEC revealed its replacement for North West Premier, last night after intense deliberations.
Professor Job Makgoro is now the new premier of Northwest until next 2019 elections. Mokgoro replaces the notorious Supra Mahumapelo, who was forced out of the premier position because of corruption allegations. The ANC has been under pressure to find Mahumapelo’s replacement within twenty days and it seems the seventy-year-old Makgoro was the perfect candidate for this position.
The ANC’s alliance partners — the South African Communist Party, Cosatu and the South African National Civic Organisation — had backed ANC stalwart Zakes Tolo, a fierce Mahumapelo critic, to fill the premier’s seat. But the party’s provincial executive committee excluded Tolo’s name from its final list
Who is Job Makgoro?
* In April 1994 Professor Job Mokgoro became the first Director-General of the North West administration tasked with rationalising and integrating three government administrations into one North West province.
* Professor Makgoro holds a number of administrative and academic accolades including a Masters and Honorary Doctorate in Public Administration from the University of Toledo in the United States.
* Professor Job Mokgoro is currently responsible for the School of Governance in the North West Provincial Administration, with an outstanding history of service in South Africa.
* He was a visiting professor at Wits University’s Graduate School of Public and Development Management.
* Mokgoro is married to former Constitutional Court Justice Yvonne Mokgoro.