Due to the Manguang Shutdown in Free State, rescue personnel are unable to enter the city due to a violent service delivery demonstration. Yesterday, residents took to the streets and shut down the Mangaung Metro.
Free State police spokesperson Brigadier Motantsi Makhele says 15 roads were blocked with burning tyres, stones and debris. Makhele says the barricade is making it difficult for ambulances, traffic and police vehicles to access Mangaung.
Yesterday a teenage boy was shot and killed during a violent protest. Makhele has added that police officers spent the night patrolling only the streets that they could access. He says they are on high alert this morning.
Makhele said several streets in Mangaung Metro were blocked with burning tyres, stones and debris. These areas included:
1. George Lubbe Road, near Power Station – (Mangaung Area).
2. Moshoeshoe Road, from Action Garage till Kenworth Spar – (Mangaung Area).
3. Taelo Moloisiwa Road at the cross of Mafora and Dinaweng – (Kagisanong Area).
4. Makoane Street – (Kagisanong Area).
5. Moshoeshoe Road near Shoprite Center – (Kagisanong Area).
6. Tau Street, Phase Two, near K.K Tarven – (Kagisanong Area).
7. Dr Belchor Road, near Engen Garage – (Heidedal Area).
8. Old Thaba Nchu Road, first entrance of Grassland – (Bloemspruit Area).
9. Maphisa Road – (Mangaung area).
10. Cross near Atang School – (Kopanong area).
11. N6 road and Southpark Cemetery – (Kagisanong area).
12. Lengau Testing Centre
13. Cross of Mothibi Street and Singonzo street.
14. Dewetsdorp road from Highway Supply complex – (Bloemspruit area).
15. Meadows Road near Klawer – (Bloemspruit area).
“Protestors were warned near Fauna, enroute to Lourierpark and they were using a white bakkie.
Thus far, seven offenders have been apprehended and will appear in Bloemfontein Magistrate Court for public violence.
Why not burn government cars and buildings? Can we pls direct our anger to the appropriate channels. Won't help targeting innocent citizens and destroying the little infrastructure that's left. #MangaungshutDown pic.twitter.com/OBMCnxqVjS
— Secretary of Black Twiitter (@Prince_SA2021) May 17, 2021
— Sizwe Kheswa (@realjef) May 17, 2021
The good people of Mangaung have taken a stand against the Government that doesn't care about any Social ills that are faced by the citizens, All they do is fight their internal battles. We stand with our compatriot in Mangaung #MangaungshutDown pic.twitter.com/gCpul2PaqB
— Lerato Pillay (@Lerato_Pillay) May 17, 2021
— Bra Hloni (@HonourableHloni) May 17, 2021