By: Poelano Malema
Marriage takes hard work. It takes two people who are committed to making it work to make their marriage a success.
Gaopalelwe Seleka, who goes by the name Lady Gao, has been married for twenty years. She says there are things couples can do to make their relationship thrive.
Below she shares 13 tips for a successful marriage:
– “Choose to have fun with your partner” – After being married for a while, partners tend to drift apart and stop having fun. This can make your marriage boring. The minute there are no more fun activities, partners can start to feel bored in a relationship.
– “Serve together”.
– “Let your relationship have a bigger mandate”.
– “Have a common vision”. It is said that unity is power and therefore, it is important for couples to be united in working towards the same vision.
– “Be deliberate in spending time together.” It is important not to allow work or having children rob you from spending quality time together. Clear out your diary and allow for time with your spouse, even if this means going on vacation or dates. Remember to eliminate any distractions, even if it is gadgets, just so that you can focus on each other.
– “Just be yourself. Don’t try too hard. Be authentic.” Your partner needs to know and love you for who you are. Trying too hard to please them will eventually weigh you down. Rather be authentic and allow them to see you for who you are.
– “Take care of yourself.” Sometimes being busy or finding the one you love can make you feel comfortable that you start to neglect yourself and stop doing things that you love. Lady Gao says don’t stop taking care of yourself.
– “Create memories. Be deliberate about it because it won’t just happen.”
– “See places together.”
– “Love your partner anyhow.” No one is perfect and no one will ever be perfect. Lady Gao says you must choose to love your partner with all their flaws.
– “Decide to renew your vows every five years. It will refresh your love.”
– “Admire him/her”. Remember why you fell in love with your partner and concentrate on their good traits. Also, vocalise your admiration for him/her.
– “Love his/her mom like your own. It will steal your partner’s heart forever. ”
Image courtesy of Pexels/ @Jasmine Carter