Relationships are complicated, so it makes sense to disregard certain so-called deal breakers, red flags flapping violently in the wind that they simply must be acknowledged. Whether it means reaching an agreement or recognizing that a person is simply not right for you, here are some red flags to look out for.
- They can’t stop telling you how perfect you are
It may appear enticing at first, but nothing is more vexing than being put on a pedestal by a spouse. This person doesn’t see you as you—you’re a projection of some beautiful picture they have in their brain, and once you defy those expectations by being a regular, imperfect, breathing human being, they’re difficult to console.
- They go too rapidly into a new relationship.
They’re either on the rebound, engaging in a very toxic kind of serial monogamy, or a compulsive liar. In any case, NOPE BIG RED FLAG!
- They attempt to create a rift between you and your family and friends.
Anyone who wants you all to themselves is probably someone you should avoid at all costs before they dig their claws any deeper.
- Their sexual desire is either considerably stronger or much lower than yours.
There is no incorrect amount of sex to have (or not have) in life, but it is critical that you and your partner share a comparable libido or, at the absolute least, have a strategy in place to deal with any discrepancies. What if one partner’s ideal sex life includes having sex practically every night, while the other is fine with having sex only a few times a month?
- They are mean to their parents.
Everyone has issues with their parents at times (show me a mature adult who blindly worships Mom and Dad and I’ll show you a liar), but keep a look out for partners who have a basic lack of regard for their parents. (Unless their parents are abusive, in which case they have every right to refuse to make nice with them if they so want.)
- They cheated on their previous lover by cheating on you.
It could be a good idea to discover more about this person’s love past, because there’s a high possibility that every relationship they’ve ever had has overlapped with the next—in which case, it’s only a matter of time until they cheat on you as well.
- The car that they drive, it is said that some men that drive certain cars are conceited and think their cars are more important than their relationship.
- They refuse to make your relationship public
Some people simply don’t enjoy putting their personal lives on social media or even talking about their feelings with friends, but that’s not the same as hiding your relationship, which is about as obvious as a red flag can be!
- They’re secretive about little things
Imagine how they’ll handle the big things!
- How they treat the mother of their child
This is extremely important, don’t be amused by the idea that he is mean or rude to his baby mama in your presence, it is disrespectful.